Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Detective Columbo, one of the great detectives in modern history

I love a good mystery, especially when I know more than the detective (or, at least I think I do). There are all sorts of mystery plots, but it generally revolves around murder and mayhem. The thing I enjoy about the show "Columbo" is that the mayhem is pretty short and generally not even shown (no blood, no decapitations). However, there is great care given to covering up the mayhem, and we get to see all the preparations as the audience, so we think we know it all. Well, mostly everything.

Columbo methodically goes through the facts, stretching and thinking outside the box, as he follows the trail left by the villain. There are amazing leaps in logic, but usually they are specifically tied to incredible observations and not anything unseen. The writers did a great job of layering pieces in every episode where it actually is possible to see where the villain goofed up. Typically it's something very small, seemingly insignificant. And, that's the joy of the show.

The part I love the most about Columbo is trying to guess when he has zeroed in on the suspect and knows, but can't yet prove the deed. I've been watching the shows again, and I'll admit I'm mystified more often than not. It's impressive how hard it is to guess at the detective's knowledge, despite watching nearly everything he does. Still, at the end I get a very satisfied feeling with how everything happens (unlike some mysteries where I feel scammed because I don't have all the facts to even make a guess at the killer). To make years of mystery shows and consistently give audiences puzzles where they think they know all the answers, yet are surprised anyway, is very impressive. The writing brainstorming sessions must have been filled with shouts and yelling; I wish I could've been there.

If you have a chance, check out the show. It's well worth your time. Oh, and did I mention you always know who did it? Amazing.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment