Monday, November 25, 2013

Doctor Who, what a fantastic show!

I've loved Doctor Who since I was a child, watching it in black and white. Especially the funny old man with the hat and huge scarf who was probably the most popular doctor ever (at least of the old series). The show was incredible, mind-blowing, and intensely entertaining. I loved everything about it. I am so grateful that it has continued on.

What's really amazing to me is that my family has all come to enjoy it as well. Even my wife loves it, and actually did a Doctor Who marathon a while back where she watched all seven season of the current Doctor Who episodes. It's incredible to pass along enjoyment from one person to another. Even my children enjoy the show, maybe even more than I do.

What's especially amazing about Doctor Who is that this is a hero who doesn't fight. At least, not in the traditional sense. His greatest weapon is his knowledge, and his ability to use it. The show doesn't even have any big over-arching plot. Sure, each season has some things that are mysteries throughout and eventually get solved. Not even the River Song/Silence arcs were that large. I think that's a big reason the show is so successful. It's accessible to anyone just getting started.

Most of all, the show is science fiction that never really takes itself seriously. There's always a side of fun that never quite escapes into the complexities of what goes on. Despite grave danger, incredible odds, and overwhelming adversaries, the show takes it all in stride and giggles at itself. I hope it stays around for another ten seasons, I really do.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment