Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe, and the amazing things people do

I've been a long time watcher of a neat program called Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. The premise of the show is the host goes to a place where people get dirty while doing their jobs. At least, that's the hook. More often than not, the host discovers people who are happy and satisfied with what they do--despite getting messy. I'm always amazed by the fulfillment these people have; it's inspiring.

Of course, the host is witty, intelligent, and well spoken, but there is a true satisfaction in what goes on. It's also pretty funny. My favorite episode is when he goes to help with a lady who does research on the Lake Eerie water snakes. Watching Mike Rowe hilariously complaining about getting bit (all while the lady is doing the same job, and laughing as she does) is wonderful. The education a viewer receives is even more powerful because of the relatability of the host and everyone he works with.

When I first saw the show, I think I was curious to see people doing what I thought were awful jobs that nobody wanted. I was wrong. Sure, there's discomfort, but the jobs are needed, desired, and fulfilling in ways I never expected. These are jobs that people absolutely want to do, and enjoy doing. These aren't the pushed down, bottom-of-the-barrel positions I imagined; they're worthwhile. I'm impressed actually, and without the show, Dirty Jobs, I'd never have known.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment