Monday, November 11, 2013

Illness, being ill, and getting sick

Like most adults, I absolutely hate getting the flu. Can't work, can't read, can't do much of anything but sleep and drink 7-Up. The worst are these crummy stomach flus where it feels like I'm about to have a gallon of rocks burst out of my belly. It's all horrid, and I wish it could just go away and leave me alone.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember many stories actually delving into illness for more than just a very brief period. Of course, I'm not thinking all that clearly right now, so I'm probably missing some, but the omission makes complete sense. This state is so irritating and uncomfortable that audiences just don't want to be dragged through it anymore than necessary. Also, from a tactical point of view, characters don't behave normally when they are ill, which may be good, or probably bad, for the story.

So, my heart goes out to all the rest of our world who are ill at the moment. Hope you all get better soon.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment