Friday, February 16, 2018

Post-Valentine blues

image credit
Valentine's Day in modern times is essentially a day of expressed love. Yes, there was a Saint Valentine who is typically tied to the holiday. It's a day of candy, love letters, cards given to classmates, and proclamations of attraction. I've always been more interested in the day afterward, though. What happens to all those cards and declarations?

When I was in school, I think I received perhaps two or three Valentine's cards. I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. There were plenty around me who got dozens, if not millions, of cards without any effort at all. The attraction and romance concepts were a complete mystery to me. For an unknown reason, girls went to some boys and practically slobbered all over them. The more incredible part was how frequently the object of attention didn't care at all. Observing these interactions gave me tremendous insights into how clueless the entire process is. I doubt anyone actually understands it, and if they say they do then they're embellishing.

So, after all the activity of Valentine's Day, we're left with a candy hangover and lots of cards that we'll likely just toss into the trash. What remains are feelings of companionship, hope, and maybe a list of new friends. But, there's also the sadness of missed opportunities and loneliness. It's a cruel time really, as holidays frequently are. So, to those left out, I give you my shoulder to cry on and offer these kind words, "Love isn't a race, but an adventure that'll surprise and terrify you. Let it sneak up on you and breathe on your neck. If you have to force it, then it's probably not worth much. Most of all, start by talking and never stop communicating."

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment