Monday, February 5, 2018

Picking the next book to read

Imagine the fun of this bookcase!
image credit
Well, I just finished another book, so now I'm looking at my bookcase and deciding which one to jump into next (although, truthfully, I usually bounce between about four books at any given time). It's both a delight and tragedy that so many good books are available these days. I'm grateful, because there's plenty to choose from, and I moan that I cannot possibly read them all. Sure, I could read more if I utilized speed reading, but I especially enjoy swimming amongst the words and not just gathering information. For me, books are a pleasure to be enjoyed for as long as possible, like a delicious chocolate cake.

Consider the incredible variety of book categories, themes, topics, and interests. The amount of sheer information and imagination on display is breathtaking. You could spend a hundred lifetimes only reading and never get through it all. The phenomenon of electronic books has only increased the flood of new books. These days it's easy to hold an entire catalog of books in the palm of your hand. In fact, it's so easy that you can easily purchase a book you didn't realize you already owned.

So, I'm back to staring at my bookcase and turning over ideas of what I want to read (including my rapidly growing electronic bookshelf). I always enjoy fiction, but I think I'm wanting something historical ... hmm, the wars of Napoleon? Or, I could into a new series. So many choices! Isn't it wonderful living in such a world as this?

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment