Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Sleep my pretty! And, dream of lollipop rainbows...

I don't remember most of my dreams. I know some people do, and that you can train yourself to do so, but I'm fine with letting those nighttime wanderings remain a mystery. There is the thought that some genius ideas float away with wakefulness, though I highly doubt they really are as wonderful as my unconscious mind believes--I have written some down and then wish I hadn't ... they were terrible. Dreams can be a whole lot of fun though, especially when you take control and gallop along with an imagination free from all restraint.


The human body apparently requires dreaming for full rest. So far as I can determine, science still hasn't figured out exactly what the REM state of sleep does for us--experiments have demonstrated people become very messed up without it. It's been theorized the brain sorts the previous day's memories at this time and basically trims the fat and keeps the important stuff. Maybe. Personally, I bet it's a lot more complicated than that, and most likely involves the brain performing maintenance activities not possible during wakefulness.

Whatever the mechanics of dreaming, I'm glad we can do it. Our imaginations are given free reign during sleep. We create vast worlds, do incredible things, and don't worry about the consequences of anything at all. It's very freeing. Well, at least when dreams are nice and fun (nightmares not so much, so I'll just ignore those). Dreams demonstrate how we never truly lose our imaginations, no matter how stuffy and grown up we become. Just go with it. Let your dreams bear you away to lands beyond time and space!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment