Thursday, July 20, 2017

Guessing the future ...

In the ancient story of Homer's "Odyssey," the Sirens tempt our hero not with sensuality, but with knowledge of the future. It's so enticing that sailors would destroy their ships in their lust to hear the predictions. Yes, it's an incredibly alluring thought. Suppose we could actually know the future? Then what? I doubt the knowledge would be as comforting as the Siren's song suggests. Truly, the future is a whimsical mystery.

This got me thinking--always a fun exercise--and I wondered how our lives would change if we stopped caring about the future? To be honest, I don't like what I came up with. Living in the moment is all well and good, but without planning we'd all be eating cotton candy and dancing on countertops. How would anyone travel across the country, if they only dwelt in the now? Nothing would ever get done, if it demanded sweeping plans and dreams.

It's all about balance. We should be aware of the past, concerned for the present, and plan for the future. Actually, that would be a good t-shirt. Maybe I should design slogans? Hmm. Or, greeting cards. Anyway, I pray you all have bright futures, are happy in the now, and learn from your past. Life is truly what you make of it, and don't listen to the Siren's call ... it will only lead to ruin.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment