Thursday, March 1, 2018

Fun with water, so break out the Super Soakers!

I love Nerf guns and water pistols. It's the kid in me, sure, but there's something instantly enjoyable about running around and pretend fighting. Nobody gets hurt (unless they twist an ankle or run into a wall), and everyone has a grand time. I think the best part is losing. Truly. You get wet and pounded with foam darts, but you're the one having the most fun in avoiding it all. It's all how you look at it. If your goal is having fun, then don't ignore the places you find it.

I know it's not a water balloon, but it's such a funny expression!
image credit
Maybe that's why adults lose the ability to play? Well, adults do have the most expensive toys, but those aren't normally the kind you want to lose or break. There's a primal joy in having fun. Deep down, we want to laugh and enjoy life. No matter how stressful life becomes, it's great to cut loose. Comedians have used this principle for all of human existence, by shining the light of ridicule on the wealth of human foolishness. Then there are the physical slapstick sorts, who remind us how funny human beings actually are.

Modern technology has created incredibly powerful water squirters and foam throwers. One Christmas, my family had a bunch of them and we had little wars for months. It was great fun! Oddly, I felt pride that my wife and children played with such abandon. It was like being a kid again. Yes, anyone can play with foam darts and water balloons, trust me. Now, go out there and have some fun!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment