Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Why must we lose to realize value?

At some point in everyone's life, we've lost something we didn't then realize was valuable to us. It could be said you were taking it for granted, that it would always be there, and only missed its absence. Yet, there's more to it. I can't say I've ever considered a hair comb all that valuable, but I've had times when I desperately wished I had one. How about a good knife? What about butter? Water? Air?

And, then there are the things you can't really touch, like the nearness of a friend, or the words of a loved one. Photos and sound files can remind us of these things, but they sure don't replace them. Mountains are wonders to behold, and filled my childhood; now, I live in a flatlands and miss them more than I can express. Such things leave a lasting mark, never quite healing or wanting to heal. And, there's our own bodies. Have you ever cherished your sight, your hearing, your sense of touch and taste? What about your fingers? Legs? Memory?
My hometown. To think I had a mountain in my backyard ... wow.
Take the time to count your blessings, in every part of life. Don't let loss teach you value. I prefer enjoying something before it's gone, if I can help it. Although, there is a concept of too much of a good thing--like ice cream, chocolate, and tickles. Whatever you do, wherever you go, take the time to note what's important to you and spend time valuing those things. You may even realize that what you thought was important isn't and what you took for granted is more important than anything else.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment