Thursday, October 19, 2017

Game Time! Get the popcorn, the board and pieces.

I grew up playing board games with my family. Not only did we develop great people skills, but also sportsmanship, analysis, bartering, theft, cheating, and competitive pouting. I admit it's mostly just fun and laughs, because we never took things too seriously. It's kind of tough getting upset when a toss of dice doesn't go your way (though, it's not unheard of). Remember to let competition be less important than fun, and you will all enjoy yourselves.

My favorite games are in the strategy genre, like: Stratego, Risk, Othello, Chess, Checkers, and sometimes Go. Sadly, those games take a lot of time, so I don't play them much. What really works well are the quick card and dice games. The more the merrier. If you can get four players, nearly anything will work, but get a gang together and you can play more complex games with teams. I love those types of setups. There's more mature games, such as spelling, dictionary, story, and trivia. These limit your players to certain ages and above, so it's tough for children to play as well.

When our whole family gets together, we do our level best not to be too competitive, but who am I kidding ... I want to stomp everyone into the dirt and dance on their ashes! Hee hee, hah hah. I will rule everyone! Ahem, that is, I enjoy myself entirely and under no circumstances will I belittle anyone at anytime ...

If you haven't had a family time where you play games, then you need to plan it right now. These times are cherished memories for me, and I can't imagine my childhood without them. I regret how in my own little family, we don't try hard enough to gather and play. Well, perhaps I can change that. It's well worth the effort, even if I don't win.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment