Wednesday, June 21, 2017

What happens when imagination meets reality?

I love stage magic, particularly illusions which happen right in front of your face (typically accomplished with meticulous slight-of-hand). I've learned some tricks, but have never put in the time and effort to truly master the art. I'm dazzled by the performances, though I know enough about how it's done that I find some of the magic fades. I wish it didn't. I miss the awe and wonder.


Actually, I think the looks of amazement you can obtain with a really good trick is second to nothing. Especially with children, who gasp with such astonishment, it's like you get a breath of pure magic simply from being witness. My wife gifted a young girl with a bit of a quiltwork she had completed, and the girl smiled with pure wonder. That's imagination made real. Magic.

Stage magicians rely on our desire for wonder, amazement, and to be willingly baffled. They aren't the only ones though. Writers, painters, musicians, sculptors, cooks, and a host of other professions, all strive to bring a bit of magic to our lives. But, witness the wonders of nature and marvel all the same! Imagination's myriad creations challenge us to see the world in new ways, revealing wonders we never expected and will never forget. If there's one facet of the human being which never fails to give me goose bumps, it's our ability to imagine. What a miracle it is!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment