Monday, April 11, 2016

Sleep. It's an ever hungry shark, lying in wait until you're at the most vulnerable.

Have you ever been to the point where if you blink, you'll groggily open your eyes hours later, wondering what just happened? Times like that aren't sleep--at least not in the sense that you feel refreshed. It's like being knocked out. There's blackness and then a spinning room. Nothing in between. At least when I'm ready to let sleep overtake me I can rest and recover. When sleep ambushes you, there's nothing good to it.
 
Which bring me to why do we even fight against sleep? Sure, there are times it's not convenient to drop off (work springs to mind), but what about at home? Is that movie so incredibly important that you're willing to trade away hours of solid sleep? I'm not sure what age group is the most sinful in this matter, but I suspect it's not kids. Whatever the reason, we stubbornly stay awake and go on checking the newest Twitter posts, or the intricacies of the Rhinoceros hornbill bird (that sucker just isn't right, take a look for yourself). The inevitable result is our final stumbling to bed and an abbreviated sleep, leaving us grouchy and bleary eyed until we get some coffee down our throats.
 
Doctors have consistently told us we need at least eight hours of sleep to be fully refreshed. It's healthy, and our bodies demand it. Yet, we rush around all day, then find ourselves rushing sleep. I've scratched my head over this for years, and I still don't have a good answer as to why we do it. I'm guilty of it, so is my wife, and my kids. Maybe it's some ancient imperative that we grind as much as possible during wakefulness, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has nothing to do with work. I mean, can finding new ways of tying knots be all that vitally important? Probably not, but I discovered this amazing new one--
 
- M
A Rhinoceros hornbill

No comments:

Post a Comment