Monday, April 25, 2016

Hanging shelves ... I think this activity belongs in Dante's "Inferno."

My body keeps me humble, especially since I'm actually quite strong. But, my knees and my back won't take much strain. Sigh. So, it was with a bit of trepidation that I took on the duty of putting up shelving (the sort where there's a board with brackets, not a kit which free-stands). My youngest daughter helped, as it was for her room anyway, and she was fantastic! We levelled the board, then marked where the screws should go. I drilled holes in the board and set the brackets first, then we went to work on the wall. Everything was perfect, with three studs exactly spaced to match the boards ... what luck!
Yeah, like this but with brackets holding it up--rather than magic.
Somewhere along the line, it was like hearing a boxing announcer saying, "Boom, baby!" Yup, one screw hole was off. Hey, it happens to the best of us, right? Okay, so drill it again. Whoops, the screw skipped into the old hole. Eh, it'll be hidden behind the bracket, yes? Well, now the wall is bent. Huh? How did that happen? Was it always bent inward? Wait, just that spot? Did I do that? Why did we put the shelf there then? Oh, good grief. Um, ah, well, there'll be a gap at the back of that particular shelf. Don't worry about it, honey. It'll be hidden, right?
 
So ... we put up one shelf. The next will go up tomorrow. Hey, perfection takes time and a clear mind. Tomorrow is a new day, and I'm sure the wall will behave at that point. Maybe it's just having a bad day and needs a good long nap? So, I did the brave and honorable thing and let the wall sleep it off. I'm sure tomorrow it will stop fiddling with me and be good. After all, walls have feeling too, don't they?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment