Saturday, July 27, 2013

All about fun

When I think of stories, I think of fun. Adventure. Escape. Living vicariously through someone else. It's about escaping to somewhere else.

I told my children, when they were just starting to read, that I've flown through space, fought dragons, gone to the depths of the ocean, and zipped through time. How? Through books. I was there, if only in my imagination. But what does that matter? It happened in my mind's eye, so why not simply let it happen and enjoy it to the fullest?

Adults, for some reason, don't allow their imaginations to run free. Perhaps it's trained out of them? I've always suspected that adults maintain such a death grip on reality because imagination seems useless in the "real world." I completely disagree. What's wrong with enjoying cloud animals, or flitting about with the birds, or taking a trip down the river with Tom Sawyer? It stretches the mind, allows it to breathe, and provides inspiration.

So, pick up a book, and get to work expanding your mind!

- M

ps. And, while you're at it, check out mine too :) The Faerie Legacy

No comments:

Post a Comment