Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hearth and Home and Fireplaces.

Until we moved into our current home, we've never had a fireplace. Sure, I've been around them all my life, but only as a visitor. Now, I wish I'd had one all along. There's something very special about sitting next to a crackling fire, snuggled up with your sweetheart, and talking. It's charmingly magical. Of course, most fireplaces do generate quite a lot of heat, so they do have a great amount of usefulness. But, for us it's mainly a wonderful luxury, and I'm grateful to have it.
image credit
I've enjoyed campfires throughout my life. I've roasted marshmallows over them, sang songs around them, and fallen in love beside them. The romantic in me wants to carry a portable fireplace wherever I go, though that's not entirely possible. I do get to cook on a grill, so that's fun, but there's no comparison to the warmth of a fireplace.

One thing I've found very interesting about the fireplace is our cats don't seem to care. They've sniffed the heat, nosed the cooling embers, but haven't basked in the warmth even a moment. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they don't like all the reflected heat? Maybe it's the dancing flames that spook them? I'm not sure. Whatever the reason, they sure have disappointed me. I was certain I'd go to the kitchen to get a cup of hot chocolate and find both cats lounging on my seat. Oh well. Life isn't always fair, is it?

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment