Thursday, September 29, 2016

Smiling is an art form

Nothing says happy quite like a grinning hippo
I've always appreciated a good smile, but I've been baffled why some are so much more pleasant to look at than others. I'm aware that some people practice in front of a mirror to achieve a radiant smile, though a few are blessed with a megawatt grin without any effort at all (we call them photogenic, when we're feeling good about ourselves and freaks when we aren't). Despite the effort, there is an overwhelming change that sweeps over a face when a smile blooms.
 
As I've grown older, I think I appreciate smiles much more. I seek out smiling people far more than frowns. I just don't want to be around grumpy people. After all, if I'm going to spend my time with someone, I'd like to be happy about it. Also, it's far more pleasant to communicate if both parties smile. Now, I'm talking about real smiles, not those forced smiles we see on politicians too often. Yup, I've practiced before a mirror, just before a family reunion--so the pictures would turn out, instead of bleeding through the side of the cameras.
 
Kids smile all the time. Why not? Everything is new to them, and they're easily excited. Their emotions show on their faces before their brain even knows what's going on. On the path to adulthood we apparently decide at some point that smiling is not good, so we stop. I don't understand that. We've all seen a face "light up" when they smile, so why are we against doing the same? Personally, I try to keep in mind that my outward attitude does illuminate my inner attitudes. Maybe a smile isn't easy, but it's good practice for when you really want to grin.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment