Monday, September 26, 2016

Off to the Fair!

I had the splendid opportunity to go to the State Fair with my wife. She won two 1st prize ribbons for her quilts! Way to go, sweetheart! I'm so very proud of her. I'm glad she finally took the risk and entered. Even more, we got to spend a whole evening together, just walking around and looking at thing. Yes, we did a bit of spending, but on the whole we did very well.
 
What really surprised me was the 4-H exhibits. Wow! Where did you find so many different kinds of leaves? Or butterflies? And, yikes!! That THING is an insect around here? Great googamooga. I'd flee, screaming my head off, if that beast came at me. No, I don't care that it's harmless. The thing is a mutant dinosaur butterfly and I don't want it near me! I don't know what it was, other than "colossus" was in the title and it was an insect with wings. Terrifying.
This is it: Giant Dobsonfly (world's largest insect)
Yes, that's an adult hand holding it. I'd scream like a little girl if it flew at me.
Beyond the insects were the crafts. Incredible. All those kinds of bread, woodcarvings, pottery, needlework, cookies, cakes, and on and on and on. I can't say I've ever had cause to look at them before, and now wish I had. Simply amazing. On the way in, I bought a new cowboy hat (I like wearing one, to let my family know I'm writing). We enjoyed some State Fair foods, watched the people, and enjoyed ourselves.
 
I am so very glad we went. I look forward to next year ... just ... no bugs.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment