Saturday, May 14, 2016

Classic stories we should all read ... but haven't.

I'll be honest here. I've never read "Moby Dick." I know I should, but my experience is the Cliff Notes and movie variety. Also, I haven't read James Joyce's "Ulysses." "Anna Karenina," "Doctor Zhivago," or "Pride and Prejudice." I have read "Les Misérables" though, so I can still clap myself on the back. But, I haven't read "The Right Stuff" or "War and Peace," so I won't make much show about it.
Morgan library in New York
There are so many classics to read! Sometimes I wish we all could have a few repeating days, like in "Groundhog Day," so we could read all those books we never had time for. Or, I could learn to speed read, since it is possible to teach yourself. But, I love taking my time and allowing scenes to develop behind my eyes, so I basically chew on the words. To me it's more about the journey than the facts and details of the story. So, I'll sip a little now and again to keep my bucket list of books from overflowing.
 
Do you have any books you wish you had read, but haven't? Hopefully there are a few classics in the list. Well, even if not, reading is good for you. The more the better. Actually, it's amazing there's so many stories out there. I wonder if anyone's counted them? I'll bet it's more than 10, or even 50. Millions? Wouldn't it be amazing to read them all?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment