Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mothers in stories

We all love our moms. We talk about them, cry out for them when we hurt, and hold up signs saying "Hi, mom," at sporting events. So, it's no great surprise to find caring mothers inside our stories. Sure, some stories cast mothers as psychos from the nether realms, but usually mothers lead charmed literary lives. I grew up with the model moms from "Leave it to Beaver" and "The Andy Griffith Show." (For those who haven't seen such ancient shows, these moms were impossibly perfect and infinitely patient. We adored them.) Mothers give us our lives, nurse us, kiss our boo-boos, read us bedtime stories and generally be really nice to us (fathers have their own day, so their contributions are for another time).
This was just too cute not to include here.
Because of all this, mothers are incredible emotional touchstones. Authors use these connections to quickly imply depth in characters, since the way people behave toward their mothers demonstrates a vast array of emotions and will get a story into high gear very quickly. Also, everyone has a mother and father, so the whole world can relate. Yup, it's a useful shortcut, so why not use it?

I think back on my experiences with my own mother, and I can't help but smile. She's an inspiration and role model to me and my children. My wife's mother, gone now to glory, was also an exceptional influence on me. So, when I read a book, watch a movie, or listen to a song about mothers, it's impossible not to think of the fine women in my own life. I owe my life to them--one for my birth and raising, and the other for my wife and best friend. Discovering a story with such a mother is a gift in itself, and a welcome connection to mothers in general.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment