Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Budding flowers, growing grass, and the glories of the outdoors.

Around our area, things are budding and blooming. The tulip trees are lovely (at least until the first heavy rain knocks it all down) and grass is poking up from the ground. Everything is growing and lush, glorying in the sunlight and drinking in the rain.

I hate it.

Okay, no, I love seeing the beauty of nature, I truly do, but my allergies go absolutely ballistic with all the fluff in the air. I'm pretty much allergic to everything--except cats, oddly, but give it time--so the growing season is especially problematic. However, I can still find a good window and watch it along with everyone else. It's glorious and I miss being able to go out for long walks with my wife and lay in the grass. Well, life changes and I must adapt.

That nicely brings me to the topic of bugs ... get ready for the invasion of gnats and flies, wasps and hornets, bees and moths. It's a good thing we have bug spray. But, even bugs are fascinating. At the last state fair, I examined some really incredible displays showing bugs from around the world. The variety is stunning, and their beauty undeniable. Butterflies and moths are flying paintings, hopping critters come in so many sizes I could scarcely believe it, and we all know how gorgeous caterpillars are (except the kind that will actually kill you with their poison hairs).

Amazing, right? They are called Glasswing Butterflies
image source
So, yes, nature is flexing its muscles and bursting out all around. Enjoy it, while it's being civil and kind and beautiful.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment