Saturday, April 4, 2015

Weeping Angels ... let them weep!

I'm probably more guilty than most when it comes to overthinking plots and story ideas. I've gradually learned over the years to be more open and flexible, but it's tough. I'm sure my own stories are filled with contradictions and things people will roll their eyes at. What I've learned now is to take matters in stride and enjoy the overall movie.

Speaking of overthinking, what about one of the best episodes of the recent Doctor Who? I'm talking about "Don't Blink," which introduced the best modern scary monster of Doctor Who ... the Weeping Angels. These are creatures that turn to stone when we look at them, but otherwise move like lightning. Creepy and amazing, these things are a wonderful bad guy. Until you start thinking about it that is. After all, if they're so fast, what could possibly stop them? It's ridiculous to expect that eyes are on these creatures so much they don't kill everything around them. But, why ruin a great monster with logic? I doubt any fictional story can withstand intense scrutiny. Enjoy the scary monsters!


This is why I enjoyed Pacific Rim so much. Put your brain in the blender and let things wash over you! Stories are much more enjoyable when you let it happen without interrupting the flow. I think this one willful act is the best thing an audience can do. It used to be called "suspense of disbelief," which is hardly used anymore. When you let it happen you stop resisting the story and become a part of it. Then the real magic happens as the story surrounds you and burrows deep within. So, stop thinking so hard and wallow in the goodness of a story!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment