Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Crazy, ridiculously good jelly beans

I'd love to shake the hand of whoever invented the jelly bean. It's a perfect candy. Soft, but chewy. Candy shell, with a jelly filling. And, the varieties ... oh, the sweet variety of the jelly bean! I hear that you can get a Harry Potter style blend with ones that taste like vomit and ear wax (yeesh, not that I'm suggesting such a thing). Even more fantastic are the combinations that create bewildering flavors as they are eaten together--like popping two chocolate and a cake flavor that combine to make chocolate cake.

I know I've written about such things before, but it never fails to impress me at the imagination of we silly humans. And how we do throw our imagination into such frivolous goofiness! We never seem to tire of creating more and better and greater. I'm all for it. Who cares if such idle creativity doesn't last more than a few moments in the mouth? There are mushrooms that cost insane amounts of cash to purchase ... and those are for food that is gone in moments. But, the taste is exquisite!

When it comes down to it, we do many loony things just because they're pleasurable to do. I can think of worse reasons. I suppose all this effort could be funneled into other things much more productive. But, how much fun would that be? Surely there's plenty of room in life for a bit of play and frivolity? I'd like to think there is.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment