Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Whistle while you work, whistle while you play!

Ever tried whistling more than a single note? I grew up whistling, and have been told I'm pretty good at it. I don't deny it. I love whistling songs, and having a good time by myself. It's relaxing, and let's me sing my favorite songs without having the vocal range to do it by voice. More still, it let's me play with music and that's something I believe very strongly in. Music makes life better in every way.

Disney popularized "Whistle while you work" and it stuck in the popular imagination, not that I've ever seen anyone whistling at work really. Actually, I used to do that as a janitor when I thought I was alone (apparently not always, since people commented about it). The concept is a good one though, because it speaks about being happy about what you're doing. That's a great idea. We should all enjoy our work, even when it's hard and backbreaking.

I suppose the conclusion is to ask: What do you do to make your life happy? Whistling is only one thing we can do, but there are many options available to us. Enjoying what you do is more than an emotion, it's a commitment. Life is like that, rewarding our commitments with joy. Maybe not jump in the air joy, but a satisfaction of something done well.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment